Feeling anxious about taking your test? You’re not alone! Most people experience varying degrees of anxiety or stress prior to testing and even more so while actually completing the test. The effects of test anxiety can range from a slight case of “the butterflies” to debilitating symptoms that can seriously impact one’s test performance. The good news is that one of the best ways to minimize test anxiety is to prepare well, and there are a number of useful resources available to help test-takers do just that. While some resources are specific to the content of certain types of exams, many also provide practical advice and tips that can be applied to most testing situations.
Helpful Tips for Test Takers
- Know your deadlines and start preparing early. Standardized test scores are often required for program admissions, certification, or licensing and may have deadlines for submitting “passing” scores. By scheduling your test well in advance of the deadline, you won’t have to worry about test slots filling up and missing your deadline.
- Familiarize yourself with the test content and format. Study materials, practice tests, and tutorials can often be found on a test provider’s website. Create and follow a study plan for learning the content and skills that will be covered on your exam. Strengthening your content knowledge and taking advantage of practice tests will build your confidence and help reduce test anxiety.
- Don’t forget the basics - get plenty of rest and remember to eat a balanced meal and keep yourself hydrated on the day of your test
- Arrive early to allow time for parking and check-in procedures prior to your test
- Read all instructions carefully before and during testing.
- Breathe and focus on the positive
Resources for Appalachian State University Students, Staff, and Faculty
Learning Express - PrepSTEP® for Colleges
Need help preparing for a graduate entrance exam or Praxis I or Praxis II exams? Now available through Appalachian State University's Belk Library and Information Commons website, the PrepSTEP® for Colleges eLearning platform offers test preparation, skill builders and online practice tests. For more information and instructions on how to access this valuable resource, please visit this Belk Library and Information Commons webpage.
Testing & Education Reference Center
The Testing & Education Reference Center helps users prepare for standardized tests, research undergraduate and graduate programs, find tuition assistance and explore potential careers.
Additionally, users can prepare for certification exams, get advice on their resumes and cover letters, prepare for job interviews and learn more about networking. The test prep portion includes full-length, timed practice exams that simulate the actual testing experience for AP, ACT, SAT, PSAT, GED, HiSET, TASC, LSAT, GRE exams and more. For additional details and access information, please visit this Belk Library and Information Commons webpage.